tl;dr: Pay $300 and leave with a fully built and tuned racing quad. Just bring your own transmitter, batteries and goggles. Last day to register will September 10th. LIMITED TO 10 SPOTS!
September 23rd 9am-5pm 901FPV and the Midsouth Makers will be hosting a mini-quad Tech Day! This will mostly be for people who are wanting to get into FPV andcurrently don’t have a 5 inch sized quad. Though others are welcome to attend.
So for $300 here is what you get, a very nice race ready build that we will help you build and tune. This build will support 3s-4s batteries.
You will be learning how to solder, understanding electronics, and how to repair and maintain your own quadcopter. If you are new to the hobby, don’t be intimidated. This tech day is tailored to all skill levels.
Compared to our old tech day build the motors, ESC flight controller, and camera are upgraded.
What you need to bring
Transmitter and Receiver
For your transmitter I struggled with this because want to recommend something that will be affordable, but at the same time I want to recommend something that you can get a lot of help with locally or even on YouTube. The Taranis options have features like being able to tune your quad and change video channels from the transmitter.
What we all use:
- Taranis X9D with case
- Taranis Q X7 $104.99
One thing I want to mention, the VTX we are going to use has been chosen because it has Smart Audio. We should have a write up very soon about Smart Audio, but basically it allows us to change VTX channels and power levels using the Taranis. So if you want that functionality you will need to order one of the Taranis’ from above.
With goggles you have a lot of options out there, but it basically boils down to Fatsharks and everything else. With Fatshark’s you get portability and coolness factor, but it will cost you. What you choose here is up to you but here are some options.
- Dominator V3
- Attitude V4 $300-350
- Cyclops V2 $60.00 These are apparently pretty decent for the money. Just make sure you order in time.
- Quanum V2 $60.00 These require a receiver to be purchased.
I honestly believe you should start with 4s batteries. They have more power and so many new people start with 3s, but then you end up with batteries you won’t use. I find that wasteful.
- Turnigy Graphene 1300mah
- Tattu 1300mah (Local Supplier in Memphis) Daniel Napier will be attending and will have some for sale.
Charging Lipo Batteries
I forgot to mention any info on charging Lipo batteries. There are a lot of different options but currently the best chargers for the money seem to be the iSDT brand of chargers.
- iSDT Q6
- iSDT SC-620 (Now Discontinued)
A couple things to mention with these chargers. They are DC only so you will need an AC power source if you want to charge at home. Otherwise you can hook them up to your car battery. iSDT actually makes a power supply for these but you can also convert a PC power supply for much less money.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I register and I cannot make it September 23rd can I cancel after September 10th? Since we are purchasing the parts on September 10th refunds will not be granted after that date. However if you can find a replacement for your spot you are welcome to let them go in your place. Please email us if this is the case. email@example.com
- I have a broken quad, can I bring it and get help? This Tech Day is geared for new pilots who have purchased a build through us. We will have other Tech events where you can get help with your current build. Also you can always chat with us on Facebook or in our Telegram Chat.
- Can I just come and watch? Of course just keep in mind we will be helping people build and tune their quad. So please be courteous to that.
- Will there be food? Yes Pizza.
- Do I have to register even if I’m coming for informational purposes? No